Saturday, September 4, 2010

Grandmaster Jimmy R. Jagtiani : How Taekwondo came into my life.


Grandmaster Jimmy R. Jagtiani, 8th Dan, International Master Instructor,
International Referee
In my teen age, I was an emaciated youth, who preferred to stay aloof from the strong thought of violence. I never got involved in squabble and fisticuffs with any one even in the war ravaged blood soaked in South Vietnam. When I was born, my parents were running a very successful business. The life was comfortable and they also preferred to stay away from violence and nuisance people in order to lead a peaceful life.
        At the age of 12 Yrs.                                 
In Saigon, I was a student in the International School, but frequently faced humiliating situations created by the street urchins, who used to roam in the campus undeterred. They picked up a target and got busy in raging business, which also included physical harassment. One fine day, in a relaxed mood, I was passing by a street side. Suddenly a group of unfriendly people appeared right in front of me with malafide intentions. They playfully took me into a restaurant and mischievously forced me to sip some distasteful soup like stuff. I had no alternative but to refuse. Thereupon their leader snatched the bowl and poured the sticky and spicy soup on my head spoiling my hair, clothes and books. All of them laughed and enjoyed the plight of their latest prey.


I returned home with a heavy heart and sobbed in extreme disgust for hours, but soon there after a bizarre spirit begin to surge within. It began to build up my confidence and instill fearlessness.  I was determined to become a strong person who could easily beat back the physical harassment single-handedly.  I did not cry thereafter. On one auspicious day, I came across Mr. Kim Young Chil, a Korean soldier with 4th degree Black Belt in Taekwondo. He was a very generous and supporting person. We developed a lasting friendship. He agreed to teach me highly effective self defense Taekwondo technique to fit to my ambitions. His schedule included rigorous training in kicking style, punch & hand techniques, sparring and art of self defense. In fact, he became my benefactor and inspiration more over the first master who introduced Taekwondo to me. Gradually, I developed obsession for this art and it subsequently became my way of life since then. My elder brother (Mike) SUNDER R. JAGTIANI shared my ambitions and switched to rigorous work out. One evening Mr. Kim, my brother and myself were strolling in the down-town, Saigon, business center and suddenly a group of about six people started abusing me and Mr. Kim and suddenly they attacked us. Mr. Kim than sprung into lightening action and in no time the group was mauled by us. They disappeared without looking back. This was the most impressive applicability of self-defense techniques on the streets, which impressed me the most.
At the age of 14 Yrs
After some time had passed, Mr. Kim was posted to another city of Vietnam. So, I decided to formally join Taekwondo coaching, but my father being a businessman did not like fighting and preferred to stay away from the nuisance and troublemakers. He told me to go on study and  refused to admit me in any martial art’s school or any related activity. Somehow with the help of my brother Mike and my mother, I could manage to join a reputed  “Central Martial Art Oh Do Kwon, School” (Saigon) in 1968 under Master Nguyen Van Phat, 3rd Dan Black Belt and Nguyn Bing, 4th Dan, director of the school, without informing my father. Early in the morning, I used to climb down from the balcony through the pipe of the second floor and return back the same way before my father woke-up. Then I go for my education in front of him.
At the Age of 18 Yrs





In this way, days, months and years passed and I managed to reach high level of Taekwondo and became tough and strong. One day during the festival Durga-pooja, me and my family were returning home after the visit to the Durga-Ma’s Temple in Saigon. Suddenly five people appeared and started shouting on us. They asked my brothers to take out the money and what ever they had in their pockets including wrist watch. Later when they came to me for the same, with the close-ranged opportunity,  I clinched  into action and knocked out three of them down and the rest two run away.  


My father was surprised and astonished by this act, he asked me how I could do this. Then I told him that, how I had join Taekwondo with the help of my brother Mike. He then allowed all my brothers to learn Taekwondo for self-defense. After a rigorous training session under the most competing guidance of  Master Phat & Master Binh, I was awarded Black Belt 1st  Dan in 1970 and 2nd Dan Black Belt later in 1973 . During this period, I realized that Taekwondo was not only an art of self-defense, but also full of philosophy and spiritualism. It transforms me to an absolute personality free from the worldly evils.



At the Age of 18 Yrs
At the Age of  20 Yrs.
The Taekwondo Federation of India was also formed on 2nd August 1976.  On 2nd August 1977, the first anniversary of Taekwondo Federation of India was organized with a demonstration of highly techniques at the K.D. Singh Babu indoor stadium. The students trained by me specially Mr. Inder Kumar Singh and Mr. Dinesh Kumar Singh both are Senior most student along with others entered the Arena and enchanted the viewers by their superb performance, which was inaugurated by none other than the Ambassador of the Republic of Korea His Excellency Mr. Bum Suk Lee., and Dr. Banarsi Das Gupta was the Chief Guest. 
Demonstration of high power Taekwondo techniques against
stick fight, the opponent is Mr. Inder Kr. Singh in 1977
at the Age 22 Yrs.           
His Excellency Mr. Bum Suk Lee, Ambassador of the Republic of Korea, was so fascinated with our performance and awarded Ambassador’s Medal to me and further  he promised maximum support in promotion of Taekwondo in India and also to send me to Korea for further advance training under Kukkiwon, the World Taekwondo Federation, (W.T.F.). 
    Master Jimmy R. Jagtiani received Ambassador Medal from His Excellency
Ambassador of the Republic of Korea.Mr. Bum Suk Lee in 1977                        
In Korea, I received rigorous training under Grand Master Chang Seong Dong from July 1978 to Sept. 1979, who transformed me into a Taekwondo exponent; on Feb. 1979 I qualified 3rd Dan Black from Kukkiwon, Korea. I own immensely tribute to my Master Chang Seong Dong, who renders me the most competent guidance and co-operation all the way.    
Pre-liminary Exams for 3rd Dan in the Taekwondo Gym, before going to Kukkiwon,
standing given caution is  Master Chang Seong Dong, 1978.
In Taekwondo Gym, Korea with Master Chang Seong Dong, Master Jimmy R. Jagtiani
received 3rd Dan Black Belt Certificate from Kukkiwon on 18th Feb. 1979
 at the Age 24 Yrs. 
Master Jimmy R. Jagtiani in action in Taekwondo Gym
in Korea in 1978
Master Jimmy in action performed front kick 180 degree in Kukkiwon,
 Korea in 1978
Master Jimmy 5th Number from the left with Kukkiwon's officials, technical officials and
V-president of Kukkiwon in 1978
Medals, Trophy's received in lively hood in 1980
The highest flying kick 8.2 ever preformed in Korea with Master Lee in 1982
The round house kick in 1984       
Master Jimmy with Raja Bhalender Singh, President:
Indian Olympic Association in 1984
Master Jimmy with Prime Minister of India, late Hon'ble Rajiv Gandhi in 1986
Grandmaster Jimmy's great achievements did not go unnoticed and was appointed
as International Advisory Board for Kukkiwon, the World Taekwondo Headquarter, Korea.
The Executive Director and the Technical Advisors of the Taekwondo Hall of Fame, USA
conferred upon GM. Jimmy R. Jagtiani, 8th Dan as "Father of Taekwondo in India"
  in the Grand ceremony held in Marriot Hotel, New Jersey, USA on 10th April 2009.                                                                                          
Grandmaster Jimmy R. Jagtiani, 8th Dan received Medal & Certificate from the
Taekwondo Hall of Fame, USA conferred upon him as "Father of Taekwondo in India"                  




Grand Master JIMMY R. JAGTIANI, 8TH DAN
Secretary General: Taekwondo Federation of India (TFI)
International Technical Advisor: Kukkiwon
Technical Advisor: Taekwondo Hall of Fame, USA
Father of Taekwondo in India
Contact: e-mail: jimmy_jagtiani@yahoo.co.in or 
http://www.taekwondofederationofindia.com/




5 comments:

  1. All the above feathers decorate the cap of the most promising personality whose ambitious concentrate on rapid promotion of Taekwondo in India as well as abroad. He is a busy-bee since last 31 strenuous years in his mission. He does not await the favorable destiny, but believes in going steady and strong all the way until success meekly subjugates. He has faced stormed, he has faced challenge, he has faced hard-ship and he has faced legal battle. But he is more resolute and confident in adverse circumstance. He has never learned to give up hopes and try. He was born and bred on the War savaged Vietnam, where only rough & tough are produced, but he is kind and soft. He could develop a lasting Martial spirit to inspire all that comes in his contact. He is at the helms of Taekwondo movement in India and executed massive Promotional Programs and produced high class International Players. He is the Pioneer of Taekwondo in India, He is the Founder of this Martial Art of Taekwondo in 1975. He is a beacon, which guides the sports enthusiastic in the discipline of Taekwondo, yet he is humble, affectionable and minus of ego in the face of the World thus humility elevated learn to become International Master Instructor and International Referee. He has tremendous organizing capacity and most inspiring leadership. He was worth to call a “Jewel in the Crown” embodying numerous characteristics. He is known by the world “Master Jimmy”. He leaves no effort untried to have the cherished dream accomplished. Taekwondo’s philosophy, training, physical, sports, Arts and behaviors in other to transform a common into a perfect Taekwondoists.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hello master i am a taekwondo student of chaitanya sir's student karunakar.i like u r kicks sir.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sir your really great and you have given the very good and right art to india, so many people from karate they simply make money with out any future of the students.

    thanku very much for your contribution, i am not sure why your not there in the teaknowdo federstaion of india but every one from teaknowdo member will respect you lot.

    ReplyDelete